What is Section 3?
Section 3 is a provision of the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Act of 1968 that helps foster local economic development, neighborhood economic improvement, and individual self-sufficiency. The Section 3 program requires that recipients of certain HUD financial assistance, to the greatest extent feasible, provide job training, employment, and contracting opportunities for low- or very-low income residents in connection with projects and activities in their neighborhoods.
HUD has developed an informational brochure which may be viewed in English or Spanish.
What is a Section 3 business concern?
A business that:
• Is 51 percent or more owned by Section 3 residents;
• Employs Section 3 residents for at least 30 percent of its full-time, permanent staff; or
• Provides evidence of a commitment to subcontract to Section 3 business concerns, 25 percent or more of the total dollar amount of the awarded contract.
How can businesses find Section 3 residents to work for them?
Businesses can recruit Section 3 residents in public housing developments and in the neighborhoods where the HUD assistance is being spent. Effective ways of informing residents about available training and job opportunities include, but are not limited to:
• Contacting resident organizations, local community development and employment agencies
• Distributing flyers
• Posting signs
• Placing ads in local newspapers
• Contacting Housing, Human and Veteran Services
How can a business register as a Section 3 business concern with Collier County?
Businesses may complete a Certification Form. Once the form is completed and all applicable documentation is attached, send the application to:
Director of Client Services
Housing Authority City of Fort Myers
4224 Renaissance Preserve Way
Fort Myers, FL 33916
Someone will evaluate the application and certify the business/individuals. Click Here to view the most current Section 3 list (October, 2014).
To file a Section 3 complaint please contact:
ATLANTA REGIONAL OFFICE
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Southeast Office
40 Marietta Street
Atlanta, GA 30303
Fax: (404) 331-1021
*Covers the following states: Alabama, Puerto Rico, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and the Virgin Islands