HOW TO GET STARTED
Event organizers must contract with Waste Management Inc., (239) 649-2212, for garbage service if the event is located in Naples, Everglades City, or Marco Island.
If your event is located in the Immokalee area you must contract with Choice Environmental Services Inc., (239) 657-2729, for your garbage service.
If your event is located in the City of Naples please contact the City of Naples Recycling Coordinator at (239) 213-4700 for additional information.
Recycling is a free market, so you may contract with a separate licensed recycling hauler, or self haul your recyclables. Click here for a list of recycling haulers
The Solid & Hazardous Waste Management Division has portable recycling containers you may borrow (when available), and staff can provide assistance in setting up the recycling at your temporary event. Call (239) 252-7575 and ask to speak to a Recycling Coordinator.
PERMIT REQUIREMENTS BEFORE THE EVENT
Collier County Ordinance No. 2009-56: "Any person seeking a permit for a temporary event within Collier County shall complete and submit with their permit application the Solid & Hazardous Waste Management Department's Temporary Event Recycling Plan." Be sure you submit the following with your permit application.
Solid Waste Temporary Event Recycling Plan
Solid Waste Haulers Contract
Recycling Haulers Contract or a Self-Hauling Certificate
PREPARATIONS BEFORE THE EVENT
Organizers of temporary events must include the following;
Prior to the Event
- Complete and submit your Temporary Event Recycling Plan with your permit.
- Determine if self-managing or contacting the franchised waste hauler for the event to ensure the proper type and number of containers are used for hauling waste from the event (recycling/garbage). Containers must be close topped and sealed to prevent leakage.
- Provide a suitable number of recyclable containers to make recycling convenient for all visitors attending the event. One recycling container should be placed for each waste container side by side in event areas.
- Use proper labeling and placement to maximize recycling.
- Provide recycling information to staff/vendors at meetings and in written information provided.
- Make sure staff/vendors know where containers are located and what containers are used for, (i.e. cardboard, trash, recycling). This should include both front of the house containers and back of the house containers for proper disposal and recycling.
- Ensure enough staff and volunteers are available to monitor garbage and recycling activities.
During the Event
- Have emcees announce you have recycling collection containers at your event and encourage participation.
- Promote recycling of items generated at your event, such cardboard, and beverage containers made of plastic, glass and aluminum.
- Inspect your recycling containers to help prevent contamination.
- Ensure enough staff and volunteers are available to keep garbage and recycling from over flowing.
- Require vendors to separate and flatten cardboard for recycling.
After the Event
- Reduce your waste by reusing or donating leftover items and/or food.
- Ensure all recyclables are properly recycled.
- Do not place recyclables in your garbage.
- Report amount of recycling and garbage collected at event to the CC S&H Waste Management Department. Dana.Alger@CollierCountyFL.Gov or call 239-252-5375.
If you have any questions about these guidelines or are not sure if you’re recycling plan meets these criteria, please feel free to call Dana Alger, Collier County Recycling Specialist at 239-252-5375.